Benefice of Seaview, St Helens, Brading & Yaverland
Skip to main content


Our policy and what you should do if you have a concern

The Parochial Church Councils of the Anglican Parishes of Seaview, St Helens, Brading & Yaverland are committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults.

We aim to create an environment in which children and young people are nurtured and protected, and in which everyone is able to worship and pursue his or her journey of faith in safety.

We follow the national legal and procedural framework for safeguarding together with the related policy and practice of the Church of England.

In particular, we have adopted the House of Bishops' safeguarding policy as laid out in Promoting a Safer Church and adhere to the guidance in the Parish Safeguarding Handbook.

If you have any concern about the church-related welfare of a child, young person or vulnerable adult in the Haven Benefice, you should, in the first instance, contact our Safeguarding Officer, Sylvia Beardsmore (Tel: 01983 612600 Email: sdbeardsmore(at)gmail(dot)com) or our Priest in Charge, the Revd Alison Morley (Tel: 01983 565975 Email: revamorley(at)gmail(dot)com). If neither is available you should make contact with the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Ian Berry (Tel: 07544 566850 Email: ian.berry(at)portsmouth(dot)anglican(dot)org). However, if your concern arises during the course of a church activity or group meeting, you should instead, if appropriate, discuss the matter discreetly with the activity/group leader, who will then make the onward contact.

If your concern relates to abuse or neglect in a family, household or community setting, you should report the matter to the relevant Local Authority or the Police. On the Isle of Wight, such a concern in respect of a child or young person can be reported to Children’s Services on 0300 300 0117 (24 hours), or in respect of an adult to the Safeguarding Team on 01983 814980 (outside office hours 01983 821105). The Police can be contacted on 101 if the concern does not require an emergency response.

In all cases, if you believe a child, young person or adult is in immediate danger of significant or serious harm you should contact the emergency services on 999.

Search Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo LinkedIn Logo Email Logo