Our Haven of Churches
St Helen's Church
This church 'on the hill' has been here since 1717. It replaced
the 'old church' down on St Helens Duver which was washed away by
storms after the river changed course and land was claimed by the
sea. The bricked up tower remains and has been used as a sea mark
for centuries. Mostly rebuilt in the 1800s, the building still
retains some interesting old gravestones set into the floor, some
fascinating memorials and hatchments and the George I coat of
arms. At the far end of the extensive
churchyard there is a grass path Labyrinth watched over by a solitary
oak tree - a wonderful aid to prayer, reflection, or just 'slowing
St Helen's Eco Church | St Helen's on Google Maps | Tricentenary Celebrations.
St Peter's Church
Originally part of the parish of St Helens work began on
constructing St Peter's in 1859 and it became the parish church
for Seaview in 1907. Much extended over the years the church now
seats in excess of 200 with a side aisle and lady chapel built as
a memorial to the men from Seaview who lost their lives in the
First World War. The wide chancel arch is fitted with an
attractive wrought iron screen.
St Peter's on Google Maps
St Catherine's Chapel
A small chapel attached to St Helens Community Centre, built in
1992 to replace the by then dangerously dilapidated Mission Church
and Institute Hall. Currently used for midweek services, once a
month for a Sunday evening service and for special services around
Christmas and Easter. A delightful, simple octagonally shaped room
retaining some furnishings from the Mission Church. Available to
be used for quiet prayer throughout daylight hours.
St Catherine's on Google Maps
St Mary's Church
The nave of the church of St Mary the Virgin, Brading dates from the late 12th century.
The north and south aisles, the chancel and the tower were added in the 13th century. The north and south chapels and the south porch are 15th century.
In 1865 the chancel was lengthened to the east when the church was restored by the Oglander family.
The tower is one of only four of its kind in England, being open on three sides at ground level from where wooden steps lead up to the
bell chamber which has a fine ring of eight bells.
Friends of St Mary the Virgin, Brading
St Mary's on Google Maps
St John's Church
Originally built as a chapel for the Manor, the Church of St John the Baptist, Yaverland dates from around 1150.
Within the south entrance porch is the original Norman doorway and the chancel arch has an intricate chevron moulding.
In the 15th century the church was remodelled and square mullioned windows were installed in the chancel.
From the reign of Henry VIII until 1945 it was a garrison church for troops stationed in the local forts.
In 1888 a north aisle was added and the church was extensively restored.
St John's on Google Maps